Science at St Francis de Sales
Our scientists will:
- Be curious about the natural and humanly constructed world around them.
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding
- Work scientifically
- Begin to understand the importance of science in their world
- Begin to develop a specialist scientific vocabulary
Click here for our Science Intent, Implementation & Impact Statement.
Click here for our Science Policy
Click here for our Science Progression of Skills
Click here for our Science Vocabulary
Science Week 2023 10th-19th March 2023
Science at Home
Please use these resources to provide your children with the chance to revisit their science learning from across the year.
We use Knowledge Organisers for each topic to promote discussion and provide visual reminders and also to outline the key knowledge and scientific vocabulary that we want children to retain.
The chance to revisit and rehearse new knowledge and vocabulary supports children in securing this knowledge into their long term memories. This knowledge then supports further learning connected to the topic and subject.
Vocabulary games ideas using the Knowledge Organisers
• Who am I? Choose a key word. Other people have to ask you question to find out which key word you are.
• Who am I? (alternative). Write a key word on a sticky note and place on another’s forehead. Ask questions of the other players to find out which key word you are.
• Splat. Write some key words on small pieces of paper and spread out on the floor. Describe the word without saying it, e.g. I am a process that describes a seed beginning to grow. Players look for the right word (germination) and then place their hand on top to win the card.
• If the answer is… , what is the question? Choose a key word, place in the sentence stem and then think of questions. E.g. if the answer is leaf, what is the question?
BBC Bitesize has a number of games, video clips and information to support the topic areas.
• Years 1 and 2 https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/z6svr82